Unable to build tutorials for Android
#1
Exclamation 
Hey,

I've just downloaded Murl, and set it up as suggested by the guides.
Before I start working with it, I wanted to make sure I have everything set up correctly to build for PC and Android, but I'm unable to build the tutorials on Android.

When trying to build for Android (both with build_debug.cmd and using the Dashboard app) I get the following error:

Quote:MK: G:\Tools\SDKs\MurlEngine\murl\tutorials\chapter01\00_hello_world\project\common\gnumake\project_hello_world.mk
Android NDK: ERROR:G:/Tools/SDKs/Android/ndk_r8e/sources/android/cpufeatures/Android.mk:module_murl_3rd_party: LOCAL_SRC_FILES points to a missing file    
Android NDK: Check that G:/Tools/SDKs/Android/ndk_r8e/sources/android/cpufeatures/G:/Tools/SDKs/MurlEngine/murl/murl/3rd_party/binaries/android/debug/armeabi/libmurl_3rd_party.a exists  or that its path is correct  
G:/Tools/SDKs/Android/ndk_r8e/build/core/prebuilt-library.mk:45: *** Android NDK: Aborting    .  Stop.
***ERROR***: NDK build failed
***ERROR***: native build failed

I have my folder structure as follows:
G:\Tools\SDKs\MurlEngine\murl    - The Murl engine
G:\Tools\SDKs\Android               - Android (including ndk_r8e and android-sdk)

Here's a screenshot of my Dashboard settings:
   

It looks like the path is incorrect for the libmurl_3rd_party.a, but I have no experience with gmake and very little with building for Android, so I'm not sure where this is configured.

Anyone got any clues?
Reply
#2
Apost 
Hi yothsoggoth,

Your setup looks OK. I am not able to reproduce the problem here, even if I use the same folder structure.
Though, my setup might not be completely identical. I'm using win 8.1 and NDK r9d (64 bit) here.

Please try the following:
- Verify that the file exists.

G:\Tools\SDKs\MurlEngine\murl\murl\3rd_party\binaries\android\debug\armeabi\libmurl_3rd_party.a


The file is provided with the framework and should exist. If the file is missing delete the murl folder and reextract the archive.

- Keep the install hirarchy as flat as possible.
Install the Android SDK, NDK and Murl Engin into the directory G:\murl. Long individual file paths may sum up into a invalid long file path.

If nothing helps, try to install the latest Android SDK and NDK


Best regards,

Ketschak
Reply
#3
Apost 
(24 Nov 2014, 19:24)Ketschak Wrote: Please try the following:
- Verify that the file exists.

G:\Tools\SDKs\MurlEngine\murl\murl\3rd_party\binaries\android\debug\armeabi\libmurl_3rd_party.a

I did check, and the file does exist.
I suspect the problem is the path that it's trying to use (G:/Tools/SDKs/Android/ndk_r8e/sources/android/cpufeatures/G:/Tools/SDKs/MurlEngine/murl/murl/3rd_party/binaries/android/debug/armeabi/libmurl_3rd_party.a with the second G:/ in the middle)

(24 Nov 2014, 19:24)Ketschak Wrote: Your setup looks OK. I am not able to reproduce the problem here, even if I use the same folder structure.
Though, my setup might not be completely identical. I'm using win 8.1 and NDK r9d (64 bit) here.

[...snip...]

If nothing helps, try to install the latest Android SDK and NDK


Best regards,

Ketschak

Thanks.
I'll try with the later versions of the Android SDK and NDK, and failing that I'll try on another machine.
Reply
#4
Apost 
I downloaded the old NDK r8e and was able to reproduce the problem. It is obviously a bug in the NDK.

Strangely enough we refer in the user’s guide to r8e as a verified version, which means that we have tested this version in the past and that it worked fluently then. Without digging depth into further analysis it is not possible to tell you what exactly is causing the problem now. It might be a mixture of newer SDK platform tools with an old NDK.

Due to the fact that the r8e version is outdated now, we will not further analyse the problem but will update the documentation.

Please download and use NDK r9d:
64bit: https://dl.google.com/android/ndk/androi...x86_64.zip
32bit: http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android...ws-x86.zip


We are working on the support for NDK r10.

Support for NDK r10c is included in the latest release 1.00.5225.
Please use the latest build and NDK r10c from https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html
Reply
#5
Apost 
(25 Nov 2014, 10:04)Ketschak Wrote: I downloaded the old NDK r8e and was able to reproduce the problem. It is obviously a bug in the NDK.

Strangely enough we refer in the user’s guide to r8e as a verified version, which means that we have tested this version in the past and that it worked fluently then. Without digging depth into further analysis it is not possible to tell you what exactly is causing the problem now. It might be a mixture of newer SDK platform tools with an old NDK.

Due to the fact that the r8e version is outdated now, we will not further analyse the problem but will update the documentation.

Please download and use NDK r9d:
64bit: https://dl.google.com/android/ndk/androi...x86_64.zip
32bit: http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android...ws-x86.zip


We are working on the support for NDK r10.

Support for NDK r10c is included in the latest release 1.00.5225.
Please use the latest build and NDK r10c from https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Thanks for looking into this!
You were quite right, it was some mis-match between the NDK version and the Murl version.
I updated to the latest version of Murl, and NDK r10c as you suggested and now everything works flawlessly!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Copyright © 2011-2017 Spraylight GmbH.